Updated: Jan 3
Exactly what are we talking about and why? Read on to learn more.
Three Easy Steps to Reduce Your Travel Carbon Footprint
We hear plenty of talk about reducing our carbon footprint, especially when it comes to travel, but how many of us truly understand how to do it properly?
It’s easier than you might think …
You can work toward achieving a net-zero carbon footprint by following these three steps:
1. Reduce Your Travel-Related Emissions
· Pack light
· Stay longer
· Choose eco-friendly accommodations
· Use efficient transportation
· Eat and buy local
· Minimize food waste
· Reduce energy use
2. Calculate Your Travel Carbon Footprint Once you’ve reduced all you can, calculate the emissions created by the things you can’t reduce, like your flight, which makes up the most significant portion of your travel carbon footprint. To determine the C02 emissions of all the flights on your trip, go to an online calculator like airmilescalculator.com.
3. Offset the Emissions You Can’t Reduce The goal of carbon offsetting is to achieve a net-zero carbon footprint by supporting reputable projects that either remove existing carbon from the atmosphere or prevent emissions from happening at all.
How to Find Reputable Carbon Offsetting Projects
There are three main types of carbon offsetting projects.
1. Forestry – Trees absorb C02 and release oxygen, so these projects focus on protecting and restoring the world’s forests.
2. Blue Carbon – Even better than terrestrial forests, the coastal ecosystems of mangroves, tidal marshes, and seagrass meadows sequester and store an impressive amount of carbon. Blue Carbon projects conserve and restore those ecosystems.
3. Energy – These projects focus on generating clean, renewable energy and making energy more efficient.
Several third-party organizations have been created to verify, validate, and certify various projects around the globe.
Sustainable Travel is a fantastic resource for finding and purchasing credits with reputable carbon offset projects.
Our Commitment to Sustainable Travel
At DPP Travel, we strive to empower our clients to explore the world more responsibly. That’s why we partner with travel suppliers that support sustainable tourism.
When you work with us, we also help you reduce your travel carbon footprint by calculating your carbon emissions and reminding you where you can purchase credits that support certified carbon offset projects.
To learn more, reach out today. Together, we can make a difference.